Monday, July 5, 2010

The Little Hidden Joys

Chris reminds me almost daily we are closer than we have ever been. In every way you think of it he is right we are one day closer to conceiving or adoption and holding a baby we will call ours. But, when he says it he truly believes that conception is what we are close too. Now, my negative mindset tends to think well of course we are closer, it has been 24 hours since you last said that. But yesterday on the 4th of July I was thinking about it and he is right we are on the brink of our life changing completely. Maybe even next year this time our life could be different, we could have a little thing that requires naps and sunscreen (which I never remember and I think you have to remember for babies). So it reminded me that I need to enjoy this time without kids just like I did the first two years, when we weren't exactly trying.

As much as my heartaches when I see someone with a cute little baby or toddler, or a family out enjoying the summer festivities, there are things that we get to enjoy as a childless couple and I thought I would share them here! (Now I know that these all will change once we have a kid and we wont mind them but now it is pretty cool, don't tell me you don't envy these this sometimes when you see people without kids!)

- This past week Chris and I went to see fireworks and once to a drive in where people have their kids out on a blanket and have all their toys and bottles and what not that need to be packed up afterwards. Chris and I merely hopped in our car and bet the traffic each time because we didn't have anything but our soda can and ourselves.Well Chris was responsible for the keys!

-Also all three of those times were kind of last minute things, we didn't have to spend time getting stuff together to take a little tike out with us. We just basically hopped in the car and got there.

-I know this one sounds crazy but Chris and I were at Cracker Barrel (oh how I love their chicken and dumplings) last night and we were playing the little game with the triangle and little pegs. Well a nice family sat down right next to us and instead of the parents having a convo and playing the game and enjoying it. More a less the triangle block was thrown on the ground with all of the pegs. They spent all their times entertaining their kids, cutting their food up and making sure their kids ate.
I don't know if your mom was like my mom but it seemed she aways ate a cold meal only after making sure me and my sisters were taken care of at the dinner table. So I have to say I enjoyed beating Chris at the peg game and eating my hot chicken and dumplings.

-I love to go to the mall with only having to think it and grab my keys and mascara or the grocery store or the park. I know when I call a friend with a kid(s) there is that lag time they have to decided to take baby or not and if not a babysitter. Going somewhere is not about you anymore it is about your family unit as a whole. So this afternoon I am going to enjoy some unscheduled trip somewhere I am sure.

-The last one I am going to mention in this blog is driving into the city for a day. I love to go to the city and I don't get to go as often as I want to and I don't have kids. A friend of ours was considering taking his wife and four kids into the city and asked me Wednesday about parking for Thursday . When Chris and I saw him that evening he mentioned they decided not to go to the city because it would just be too expensive to travel, park, get metro cards and feed six people. In that moment I thought well Chris and I need to get to the city ASAP and a lot! I had never though about it but if I want to go anywhere that I can't or don't want to take a baby I will have to pay a babysitter and if I take them then I will have to accommodate them on the trip. Needless to say I have been looking for a couple of days to go down!

Now I know that all those things won't be important to me when I am hold a little pink or blue blanket keeping warm our precious kid. We will remember the sunscreen , pack the stroller and sit in the traffic and cut up their food with joy and tears at times remembering how much our hearts ached to have them here with us. But until then...maybe I will go to the mall! or maybe not!


No comments:

Post a Comment