Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Knowledge is power, or is it?


So last night Chris and I made dinner, rented a confusing movie and picked up these books from the library. Honestly as confusing as the movie was, these books we more so. I was thinking about how would I know when to feed or what to feed a one year old, and then how do you take a baby's temp. Which way is best for a baby to sleep and when to you actually potty trained.
See I was focusing on the fact that I may need to know anything about a newborn to a five year old. That is a bit overwhelming. Then I thought this is just not fair most people start with a newborn and they just work on that and learn as they go. Then I realized it is the same thing for me. Why do I think I am so different. I am not, I will get a child and I will not know what to do with it at first, no matter if it is a six month old or a four year old.
Here is the cool thing though, I am going to learn a lot, about all ages. They may drop off a two month old and then a three year old, then when one goes home they may drop off 1 year old. I am going to learn so much about all different ages and different
kids. Then when our forever child shows up that is going to be ours not only will I have help children and families that needed some time to work things out, I will also be more prepared then I would have been otherwise for them.
The more I think about foster care and adoption the more I am reminded how blessed I am to be here traveling this road. I would never wish infertility on someone, but I know that God knew what He was doing.
So as I sit and wait patiently for the phone to ring, I will probably let some dust gather on those books as well. Not that there isn't a lot of great information in them, but as any new parent knows you cant learn it all from a book. I am betting like most of you I will learn the most when the children show up.
So the answer is yes knowledge is power, but you need to be able to regulated and control the power and put it to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment